I've been talking to different friends and family about making homemade laundry soap for a LONG time now, but I'm really going to do it!
Everyone knows that it's cheaper to make it yourself, but the main reason I'm doing it is for Jack. He has some very sensitive skin that, per doctor's orders, we've been maintaining by:
Prescribed lotions and lots of cetaphil
We buy Dreft laundry soap and we don't use dryer sheets
Instead of regular soap in the shower, we use baking soda in the bath water
So when my mom mentioned that my sister makes her own laundry soap and she noticed that it seems to help her son's eczema, it was a done-deal for me. Anything to help Jack's skin!
I was able to find all my ingredients at Fred Meyer of all places. And I found what I think is a really good website for people of my caliber: people-who-don't-know-much-but-want-to-learn. It gives 10 different recipes for laundry detergent as well as a million other helpful tips. I think I'm going to go for recipe #4 cuz it looks pretty darn easy.
Wish me luck!
Everyone knows that it's cheaper to make it yourself, but the main reason I'm doing it is for Jack. He has some very sensitive skin that, per doctor's orders, we've been maintaining by:
Prescribed lotions and lots of cetaphil
We buy Dreft laundry soap and we don't use dryer sheets
Instead of regular soap in the shower, we use baking soda in the bath water
So when my mom mentioned that my sister makes her own laundry soap and she noticed that it seems to help her son's eczema, it was a done-deal for me. Anything to help Jack's skin!
I was able to find all my ingredients at Fred Meyer of all places. And I found what I think is a really good website for people of my caliber: people-who-don't-know-much-but-want-to-learn. It gives 10 different recipes for laundry detergent as well as a million other helpful tips. I think I'm going to go for recipe #4 cuz it looks pretty darn easy.
Wish me luck!
Good Luck! LEt me know how it turns out. Or I'll just use it the next time I come over with my dirty laundry :)
ReplyDeleteSo, do you have to grate the bar soap yourself? ha ha I'm too lazy but if you only need 2 tablespoons a load, that's pretty cheap!
ReplyDeleteI have been making my own laundry detergent for 3 or 4 years now, and its totally worth it- its easier on the skin and I think its actually been better on getting the clothes clean. Plus, its insane how much money you save- I bought a box of borax and washing soda, for a total cost of approximately $4-5, and they have lasted for 3 years. I use the same receipe (#4) but I make it a liquid detergent by adding water. Have fun making it! I always have!
ReplyDeleteAlso- this is Tori, Bryan Mclellan's roommate-he directed me to your blog. Hi!